Critics have been debating whether or not Zero Dark Thirty endorses torture since early December. Now, one month later, audiences have finally been given the opportunity to weigh in.
Zero Dark Thirty went into wide release on Friday, and as expected, the unending stream of editorials (including a harshly-worded open letter to Sony from senators John McCain, Diane Feinstein, and Carl Levin) worked wonders in terms of piquing people’s curiosity; the movie grossed $24 million over the weekend, beating out both A Haunted House and Gangster Squad by a comfortable margin.
Here are the weekend’s top 10 movies:
1. Zero Dark Thirty $24M (total: $29.5M)
2. A Haunted House $18.8M
3. Gangster Squad $16.7M
4. Django Unchained $11.1M (total: $125M)
5. Les Misérables $10.1M (total: $119M)
6. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey $9.08M (total: $278M)
7. Lincoln $6.31M (total: $153M)
8. Parental Guidance $6.1M (total: $60.7M)
9. Texas Chainsaw 3D $5.15M (total: $30.8M)
10. Silver Linings Playbook $5M (total: $41.3M)