It was the kind of weekend that babysitters dream about. Both of the weekend’s major new releases were rated R, and both were extremely popular. Coming in first place was Seth MacFarlane’s Ted with $54 million—a new record for an R rated non-sequel. (The record had been previously set by The Hangover with $45 million). The movie received an A- Cinemascore from audiences, which means that it still stands to make some money once The Amazing Spider-Man comes out tomorrow. But the real winner at the box office was Steven Soderbergh’s artsy stripper dramedy Magic Mike, which grossed $39 million on a $5 million budget. If the trend continues (which it probably won’t since most of the movie’s target audience saw it on opening day), Magic Mike could be the first indie since Black Swan to cross the $100 million mark.
Here are the weekend’s top 10 movies.
1. Ted $54.1M
2. Magic Mike $39.2M
3. Brave $34M (total: $132M)
4. Madea’s Witness Protection $26.4M
5. Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted $11.8M (total: $180M)
6. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter $6M (total: $29M)
7. Prometheus $4.92M (total: $118M)
8. Moonrise Kingdom $4.87M (total: $18.4M)
9. Snow White and the Huntsman $4.41M (total: $146M)
10. People Like Us $4.31M