Although Rock of Ages has been singled out for Tom Cruise’s performance, which has been described as his darkest and most intense since Magnolia, the prospect of seeing Tom Cruise in an un-Cruise-like role wasn’t enough to convince most people to suffer through two hours worth of bland karaoke. The movie only made $15 million over the weekend, far below the $25 – $30 million that some had predicted.
That’s My Boy, the new Adam Sandler comedy, fared even worse. Since hitting it big with The Waterboy, Sandler’s comedies have traditionally opened in the $30 – $40 million range. Even Jack & Jill, universally regarded as his worst movie at the time, opened with $25 million. But it seems that audiences finally learned their lesson with Jack & Jill and stayed away from That’s My Boy in droves. The movie made just $13 million, a figure which should either convince Sandler to make more movies like Punch Drunk Love and Funny People or rush Grown Ups 2 into production.
Here are the weekend’s top 10 movies:
1. Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted $35.5M (total: $120M)
2. Prometheus $20.2M (total: $88.9M)
3. Rock of Ages $15.1M
4. Snow White and the Huntsman $13.8M (total: $123M)
5. That’s My Boy $13M
6. Men in Black 3 $10M (total: $153M)
7. The Avengers $8.85M (total: $587M)
8. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel $2.2M (total: $35.1M)
9. Moonrise Kingdom $2.18M (total: $6.78M)
10. What to Expect When You’re Expecting $1.33M (total: $38.8M)